Sometimes you just have to spice it up! We’ve been making volcano eggs since we were in the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico. We found ourselves bored with the same old breakfast and decided to get a bit creative. Volcano eggs are easy to prepare, cheap, healthy, and they don’t take too much time. Our first attempt to make eggs like this was not entirely successful, but we got much better after just a couple of tries. So, if you don’t get it perfect the first time, don’t get discouraged and try again.
Ingredients (2 portions)
- 4 slices of bread
- Tip: Artisanal Rye bread has been the best bread selection so far.
- 4 large eggs
- Olive oil
- Heat up olive oil.
- For better results use a nonstick pan, and make sure the oil is very hot.
- With a glass, cut out a hole in the center of the bread.
- Place the bread on the pan and lightly toast one side of the bread.
- Flip the bread.
- Crack and pour the contents of one egg in the cut-out whole in the bread.
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Move the bread around with a spatula. Your goal here is to try to cook as much of the egg as possible.
- Lightly toast the bread cutouts.
- Place the circular cut-out bread over the eggs.
- Wait for the egg to be fully cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!